There is a student union in every Finnish university. Membership of a student union is compulsory by law for all undergraduate and master’s degree students studying for a Finnish degree. For exchange students the membership fee is voluntary but highly recommended.

As a member of the Student Union you are entitled to a Finnish student card (opiskelijakortti) issued together by the National Union of University Students in Finland and TYY. This card offers you a variety of benefits locally and nationwide.

Benefits and membership fees differ depending on whether you're an exchange student, degree student or doctoral candidate. Check the links on the right column to see which student card is suitable for you and how to get it.