The Student Union of the University of Turku (TYY) would like to welcome you to Turku and to the University of Turku. We are happy to have you here and we wish to meet you at the Orientation Course!
How to join the Student Union?
As a student at the University of Turku, you are entitled to several student benefits. These benefits include, for example:
- starting package (for the exchange students)
- a discount on lunches at student cafeterias on campus
- 45%-55% discount on long-distance bus and train tickets
- many other benefits and discounts
You can get the student benefits by becoming a member of the Student Union of the University. Joining the Student Union is voluntary for exchange students and doctoral students (but highly recommended) and compulsory for degree students.
Easy steps to become a member:
- By paying the invoice you join the Student Union. Exchange student: You will get the instructions to pay the fee from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In case you forget to use the reference number, we will still get your payment but it will take a longer time to register.
- Please note that we do not send you a confirmation e-mail after receiving your payment. Just print out the receipt of the payment (screenshot is also ok), because you can use it as proof of your payment.
- After paying the membership fee, you should order the student card. You can choose from 2 options: a plastic student card OR a mobile app. For more info, please check out Frank's website. You can make the order from the beginning of 1 January and after paying the student union fee.
- If you decide to order a normal plastic student card, it will be sent to your Finnish address. Remember to make a notification of change of address to the post office so you know that your mail will be delivered to the right address. Please note that during the busiest times at the beginning of the semester getting the card might take more than two weeks. Once your card has arrived, remember to pick up an annual sticker from the TYY Service Desk.
For the address and the opening hours of the TYY Service Desk, and for more information about the Student Union, please visit our website.
If you have questions concerning the membership or the student card, please see our FAQ-page or contact email@example.com We are here for you!
- Corona instructions when arriving in Finland
- How to activate UTU account
- Registration with the University
- If you have any questions concerning the Student Union, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- We recommend you to join our mailing list for international students as soon as possible. Through the list, the Student Union keeps you up to date on current issues that concern students, informs you about things that go in the Student Union and in Finland in general and also distributes information about for example the starting package, job offers or internships, Centre for Language and Communication Studies and sports opportunities. Since most other mailing lists operate in Finnish, this is the best list to get information that is relevant to students in English. Click here for more information about our mailing lists.
- Remember to like our Facebook pages TYY and TYY International Wing
- Read the guide for new students here
- Check out also subject organisations for each Degree Programme here