The purpose of the Student Union Wings, i.e. voluntary groups, is to implement TYY's values in their activities and to serve as a contact between the members, Student Union Council, Executive Board and staff. Wings are low-threshold actor groups, through which it is easy to participate in the activities of the Student Union. The Wings allow you to express yourself, create new issues, promote and monitor student interests at the university and in the society, pick out topics for public debate and become a critical citizen. There are four TYY Wings: International Wing, Development Cooperation Wing, Equality Wing and Environmental Wing.
I Search, election and organisation of Wings
- The Executive Board opens a search for Wings twice a year, always at the end of the terms. Regular members are recruited among the members of the Student Union with an open search where the applicants inform their interest in certain Wings and the possible Chair position.
- The Executive Board elects members in each Wing, which are not more than five per Wing. A person may be elected in a Wing for either six or twelve months, excluding the Chair, who is always elected for a calendar year. One person may be elected in only one Wing at a time. If there are no candidates to chair the wing, the wing will elect a chair from among its members and notify the Executive Board responsible person for volunteers by e-mail.
- The Wings elect a Vice-Chair and shared other possible areas of responsibility in the first meeting of the calendar year. If necessary, the Wings re-organise themselves in the first meeting of the autumn term.
- Members already elected to the wing may continue in the wing for one academic year at a time. At the start of the application period, current members of the wing are asked if they want to continue in the wing. If chair wants to continue in the next year, the application will be made through the official application form.
II Activities of Wings
- The Wings plan and implement their activities together with the Executive Board Member/s responsible for the field and if necessary with the staff. The activities shall be in accordance with TYY rules and values.
- Training shall be organised for Wing members in order to launch the activities. In the training, the Executive Board Member responsible for Volunteering and the Chairs of the Wings generally inform about the activities of the Wings and the upcoming year.
- The Wings draft, together with the responsible Executive Board Member/s, an annual calendar at the beginning of the year.
- The Wings spend the funds attributed to them in a planned and responsible manner. The Secretary General will approve individual invoices and payment orders of the Wings.
- The Wings convene as many times in a year as they see appropriate, but preferably at least once a month, except during summer months. The meetings are informed at least at the internal communication channels of the Wings and in the events calendar on TYY website. When convening meetings, accessibility and the participation possibilities of international students and students from remote campuses.
- The meetings have a quorum when there are two regular members present, in addition to the Chair or Vice-Chair. The meetings of all Wings are open to the members of the Student Union.
- The Wings record short notes on their meetings, which are stored in an agreed location in order to guarantee continuity of the activities.
- The Executive Board invites the Chairs of the Wings at least twice per term for a morning/ day school to report on the activities of the Wing.
- At the end of the calendar year, the Wings draft a short Annual report declaring the organised events and the operational culture of the Wing. The annual report shall be provided for the Wing actors of the following year.
- The Wings form an important part of TYY activities, and the Wing members can freely pass time in TYY's Office, e.g. by drinking coffee and sitting on the sofas. The Executive Board Members and staff working at the Office can always be asked for advice.
- The Wings shall have a cupboard in TYY's premises for storage. In addition, the Wings are allowed to use office devices such as a computer, flip chart, fridge or printer. The Wings can reserve TYY Office meeting rooms for their meetings through Outlook calendar booking system. The Wings can reserve in advance a float for their events from the Office Secretary.
- To ensure smooth communication between the wings and the office, Outlook Calendar and Slack are utilised.
- Anyone can participate in the wing even if the person has not become an elected official member. In this case, the person should contact the wing’s chair.
III Tasks of the Chair
Chair of the Wing
- is responsible for the annual calendar drafted by the Executive Board member and the Wing;
- convenes the meetings of the Wing preferably 7 days and at least 2 days before the meeting;
- is responsible for ensuring that short written minutes are drafted for Wing meetings, stored in an agreed location;
- ensures the communication and flow of information between the Wing and TYY Executive Board and
- is responsible for the annual report at the end of the term.
IV Resignation and discharge from Wing activities
- Upon a request from a member, the Executive Board May discharge a person from the membership. A short notice of the resignation must be sent by e-mail to TYY's Executive Board member responsible for volunteers, after which the resignation takes effect.
- On the proposal of the Wing, the Executive Board may dismiss a member who continuously neglects their tasks. A Wing member can be considered resigned if they are absent without notice from three consecutive Wing meetings. Before the Executive Board makes a decision on dismissing a member, they must be reserved a chance to be heard.